[Distutils] CVS access

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 22 May 2000 22:46:51 -0400

On 22 May 2000, Lyle Johnson said:
> If your CVSROOT is
>
> 	:pserver:anonymous@cvs.python.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python
>
> you should be able to do a checkout of the distutils like so:
>
> 	cvs checkout distutils
>
> This worked for me...

Yes, that is correct.  See the Python CVS page at SourceForge for a
slightly longer exposition:

    https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=5470

Note that the *project* is Python, and it has two *products*: Python and
the Distutils.  This makes it trivial for Guido to include the Distutils
in Python releases as Lib/distutils, and makes it easy for me to release
the Distutils as a separate package, which is essential for people not
yet running Python 1.6.  (If you're curious, it's done through a couple
of judicious symlinks in the CVS tree: when you checkout
distutils/distutils/*.py, you're really checking out
python/dist/src/Lib/distutils/*.py, but CVS pays no attention to
symlinks, so it all Just Works.  Very nifty.  The setup on SourceForge
is exactly the way it was on cvs.python.org, except the direction of the
symlinks has been reversed.)

Also, anyone who has an existing Distutils (or Python) working tree
probably wants to know about my "cvs_chroot" script, which walks a
working tree and updates all the CVS/Root and CVS/Repository files to
point to a new repository.  Handy little tool, if I do say so myself.
Get it from my Starship page:

    http://starship.python.net/~gward/python/

Thanks to Lyle Johnson and Skip Montanaro for testing/debugging!

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/