[Distutils] bdist and --compiler

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher@gmx.de
Tue, 23 May 2000 15:41:27 +0200

I'm currently working at the Cygwin-Compiler class on Win32,
there I found a problem with "bdist".

When I have build all extensions with my compiler class and then
try to use "bdist", the msvc compiler class starts and
fails (I don't have it on my machine.)

I think there are two problems.

First the system seems to check the filedates
with the objectfile-extensions of the standard compiler
( msvc ".obj" , cygwin ".o" ). So it doesn't find my
object files, and tries to recreate them, but uses a
wrong compiler. I think it should be
possible to configure the compiler also for "bdist".
(If this is already possible? Please explain how.)
Also I think "bdist" does a "build" if there aren't
already the right files. In this case "bdist" should
accept *all* parameters which "build" accepts.

The second problem. Why "bdist" doesn't check only the
source files against the finished extension modules?
Currently it seems to check the source files against
the compiled object files.

Then there is something else concerning the compiler
option.
If the user uses help he get the information that he
can use the compiler option, but how can he know
which compilers(classes) are available. There should be
a possibility to get a list. (In ccompiler.py we have
such list, we only had print it.)

kind regards

Rene Liebscher