[Distutils] handling complex link/library specifications

andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au
Wed, 24 May 2000 14:28:36 AES

In the process of creating a Python module for a commercial package, I have
built a Distutils package for it (using Distutils-0.8.2).

Unfortunately, the commercial package I'm dealing with has a long list of
libraries required to be linked, with several specified static and the rest
dynamic.

The recommended library spec (for Solaris, which is what I'm working with at
the moment) looks something like this:

-R<path>

My setup.py (built from the distutils template) has all the libraries listed in
 a 'libraries' record against the module, and things appear to link OK as is
though I'm still chasing down a couple of things which might turn out to be
related to the static/dynamic stuff above.

I tried looking in the documentation, but the bits that might answer my
question haven't been written yet :-(

What would be the recommended way to deal with this, if Distutils in its
current form can handle this situation?

(BTW http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/doc/dist/source-dist.html has an
HTML problem, at least with IE 3.02)

Andrew MacIntyre                \ andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au
Planning & Licensing Branch      \ Tel: +61 2 6256 2812
Australian Broadcasting Authority \ Fax: +61 2 6253 3277