[Distutils] Pondering multi-package packages

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 25 May 2000 22:03:16 -0400

On 25 May 2000, M.-A. Lemburg said:
> FYI, I'm going to package the mx stuff in 3-4 ZIP archives:
>
> 1. base (this one contains the __init__.py file and always
>    has to be installed)
> 2. crypto (optional add-in with mx.Crypto)
> 3. mx-ug (subpackages only available to mx User Group members)
> 4. commercial (things like mx.ODBC and some other DB related
>    subpackages)
>
> There will no longer be separate mxTools, mxTextTools,
> mxDateTime, etc. packages.

Do you mean "package" as in a directory with an __init__.py file, or as
in something others download, build, and install?

> Umm, what's hairy about pre- and post-install code ? Pretty
> much all RPM-like archives provide this feature in some way
> or another.

See my previous post: it's not the code that's hairy, it's getting it
from the developer to the installer correctly.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - "always the quiet one"                      gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/