[Distutils] Pondering multi-package packages

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:53:46 +0200

Greg Ward wrote:

> On 25 May 2000, M.-A. Lemburg said:
> > FYI, I'm going to package the mx stuff in 3-4 ZIP archives:
> >
> > 1. base (this one contains the __init__.py file and always
> >    has to be installed)
> > 2. crypto (optional add-in with mx.Crypto)
> > 3. mx-ug (subpackages only available to mx User Group members)
> > 4. commercial (things like mx.ODBC and some other DB related
> >    subpackages)
> >
> > There will no longer be separate mxTools, mxTextTools,
> > mxDateTime, etc. packages.
>
> Do you mean "package" as in a directory with an __init__.py file, or as
> in something others download, build, and install?

Well, e.g. mxDateTime was a package in the sense that you can
unzip it directly in a directory on you PYTHONPATH. Only the
"base" archive will have that property. The others are
add-in archives which get unzipped on top of the "base"
installation.

Hmm, thinking of it: would distutils allow recursive
builds/installs ? Or must I add logic to figure out
which parts of the cake are available to build/install and
then setup a single setup.py file ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg