[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] Where to install non-code files

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 07:53:14 -0400

Greg Ward wrote:

[installing data files]

> On Windows and Mac OS, clearly these should go somewhere under
> sys.prefix: this is the directory for all things Python,
> including third-party module distributions.  If Brian Hooper
> distributes a module "foo" that requires a data file containing
> character encoding data (yes, this is based on a true story),
> then the module belongs in (eg.) C:\Python and the data file in
> (?) C:\Python\Data.  (Maybe C:\Python\Data\foo, but that's a
> minor wrinkle.)
>
> Any disagreement so far?

Yeah. I tend to install stuff outside the sys.prefix tree and then
use .pth files. I realize I'm, um, unique in this regard but I lost
everything in some upgrade gone bad. (When a Windows de-
install goes wrong, your only option is to do some manual
directory and registry pruning.)

I often do much the same on my Linux box, but I don't worry
about it as much - upgrading is not "click and pray" there.
(Hmm, I guess it is if you use rpms.)

So for Windows, I agree with Mark - put the data with the
module. On a real OS, I guess I'd be inclined to put global
data with the module, but user data in ~/.<something>.

> Greg Ward - "always the quiet one"
<snort>

- Gordon