[Distutils] bdist and --compiler

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher@gmx.de
Fri, 26 May 2000 19:03:13 +0200

Greg Ward wrote:

> On 25 May 2000, Rene Liebscher said:
> > There are more options  which could need such a list (bdist format),
> > perhaps we should introduce something like --help-option XXXXX
> > ( XXXXX = compiler,format,...) It could scan all commands for a option
> > with this name and a more extensive description (string or Callable,
> > which
> > generates a string on the fly.)
>
> Good point.  This should be some sort of "extra interface" that certain
> commands will implement: they need to announce which of their options
> have a help option, what that help option should be called (default:
> "--help-" + option_name), and what the values are.  If you want to give
> this a shot, go for it -- I'm kept busy enough just processing incoming
> patches and trying to write the docs!

Perhaps, someone else has a better overview and wants to start it.
At least it would be helpful to know all options which could
need more documentation.

So please, extend this list:

* build_ext, compiler : list of available compilers
(and their long names like 'Microsoft Visual C++ 5.X and higher' or so)

* bdist, format : list + explanation (gztar : creates XXXX.tar.gz)

Kind regards

Rene Liebscher