[Distutils] ccompiler.py for an IDE

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Wed Nov 15 02:00:01 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Jack Jansen wrote:

> This isn't an option for CodeWarrior (or, at least, it would mean an
> extraordinary amount of work), as the compilers and such are merely
> plugins for the IDE, and everything is driven from the projectfile.

Couldn't you generate a lot of "small project files" each of which
would compile a single c into a single o, and then one project
file for the link stage? Or is that the extaordinary amount of work?
(On the face of it, it shouldn't be very different then generating
a command line, but then again, I haven't seen a Mac for a few millions
of years). Another option would seem to be to use the Apple version
of COM (sorry, I forgot how they call it) to talk with a persistent
IDE. Wouldn't that work? Or would that be too hard?

> The solution I'm now thinking of is to let compile() simply stash away
> the sourcefiles and include dirs and such and do all the work in
> link(): generate the project file and build it.
>
> Is this a feasible idea?

It's probably all right if nothing better comes along, but the problem
is that errors would come up in the wrong place if there are any.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez