[Distutils] bdist_wininst creates corrupt installation

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Oct 8 09:56:24 2000

I've created a PyXML distribution with recent distutils (0.93 and
1.0). When installing these distributions, the installer creates empty
files only, see

http://download.sourceforge.net/pyxml/PyXML-0.6.0.win32.exe

for an example.

I've tracked this down to usage of the zipfile module. If it does not
find an external zip program (which I did not have), it then tries to
use the zipfile module. Somehow, the installation program later cannot
process the files created with that module.

The problem is probably in the installer, since Winzip 7 is capable of
reading the package, and extracts the files properly.

I have solved the problem by installing infozip on my
machine. However, I'd appreciate if somebody could look into the
problem and let me know what the cause is. If you cannot reproduce the
problem, please let me know as well.

Regards,
Martin