[Distutils] Bug/problem in v1.0 with python 1.6.

Roy Dragseth Roy Dragseth <Roy.Dragseth@cc.uit.no>
Thu Oct 12 03:37:01 2000

Hi, I'm trying to build an extension written in c on a system with the
following characteristics:

OS:          HP-UX 10.20
Python:      v1.6
Distutils:   v1.0
gcc:         v2.95.2 with hp-ux ld (not gnu ld)

Python is built with gcc, and the problem is that gcc --shared doesn't
work (ok, this is probably me messing up gcc).  Python seems to be
aware of this as it builds the shared modules using ld -b directly,
shouldn't distutils do the same thing?  It used to, I had no problem
building this extension with python 1.5.2 and distutils 0.8.2.

Any hints greatly appreciated,

  The Computer Center, University of Tromsų, N-9037 TROMSŲ, Norway.
	      phone:+47 77 64 41 07, fax:+47 77 64 41 00
     Roy Dragseth, High Perfomance Computing System Administrator
	 Direct call: +47 77 64 62 56. email: royd@cc.uit.no