[Distutils] Manifest.in not included in sdist...

Tue Oct 31 14:28:05 2000

I never saw any reply to this, so...

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 10:02:46PM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
>This seems odd to me...
>
>When I build a source distribution with python setup.py sdist, my
>MANIFEST.in file is not included in the resulting archive. This seems wrong,
>as without the MANIFEST.in, I cannot rebuild the distribution.
>
>I would assume that building a sdist should create save everything needed to
>rebuild the package, its sdist, etc etc, from scratch.

I don't think sdist will automatically add any files to the manifest for you,
so you have to explicitly add an include line for it.  For example, PyXML's MANIFEST.in starts with:

include ANNOUNCE
include CREDITS
include LICENCE
include MANIFEST
include MANIFEST.in
include README*
include TODO
include setup.py

(I believe those could all be collapsed into one line, but you get the
idea.)

>Another thought - a "reallyclean" command would be nice (deletes all
>intermediate and generated files - essentially all of the "build" and "dist"
>directories, at least...

Should be easy to write... up to Greg to decide if it's worth adding.

--amk