[Distutils] Python interpreter path and bdist_rpm

Harry Henry Gebel hgebel@inet.net
Sat Sep 2 12:07:01 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 11:07:27AM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 01 September 2000, Harry Henry Gebel said:
> > The problem with hard coding the path into the spec file is that it
> > prevents the source RPM from being built on a computer that does not have
> > python located in that place. I think a better solution would be something
> > like:
> That *might* be a feature: if I build an RPM with /usr/bin/python, and
> encode that path in the spec file, then I expect any target systems to
> have a similar Python installation, ie. /usr/bin/python had better be
> there.  If not, we have problems.

This is fine for binary RPMs, but source RPMs can (and should, I believe)
to be buildable on any platform using the same or a later version of
RPM. In fact a great number of the packages on my system are built from
source RPMs designed for other distributions; many of these I had to alter
to build on Mandrake; which always annoyed me since the alterations to make
them not depend on a particular distribution are usually pretty minor. The
source RPMs produced by bdist_rpm now should build without modifications on
any system using RPM 3 or later, no matter where python is located.

>   * have an option to allow "whatever python is first on the path",
>     but make sys.executable the default

I think this is a good option, but I think source RPM compatibility should
be the default, and sys.executable should be the option.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS        ICQ# 76308382
West Dover Hundred, Delaware