[Distutils] About version discussion

Harry Henry Gebel hgebel@inet.net
Sat Sep 2 12:14:02 2000

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 10:15:54AM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 31 August 2000, Harry Henry Gebel said:
> > I was wondering if it might be a good idea to put a function in Distutils
> > that could query if the currently installed version has certain
> > abilities. Each ability could be assigned a name, and it could be
> > implemented very simply:
> I'm skeptical.  This could be useful for situations where you need
> version X because feature foo was added, but what about bug fixes?  The
> ability to not crash when compiling extensions described the "old way"
> (pre-Extension object) on Windows is certainly important; isn't it just
> easier to say, "I need Distutils 0.9.2"?

My concern was for some future time when everybody who makes python
packages uses Distutils, but most of them will probably not have been
members of the Distutils SIG long enough to know when different features
were implemented. I also have doubts it would be useful (or used) enough to
justify putting it in; but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get people's
opinions.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS        ICQ# 76308382
West Dover Hundred, Delaware