[Distutils] Default format for "bdist"

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon Sep 11 19:47:02 2000

On 06 September 2000, M.-A. Lemburg said:
> Ok, but could you then at least make the archives platform
> name an option then ? I wrote platform.py for just this reason
> (it is used in the mxCGIPython project) and would of course
> like to reuse its functionality for distutils too.

Good idea -- done, at least for bdist_dumb.  Now you can run

    python setup.py bdist --formats=gztar,zip \
                          --plat-name=linux-2.2-redhat-glibc2.1-i586

or, equivalently (except for the multitude of formats):

    python setup.py bdist_dumb --plat-name=linux-2.2-redhat-glibc2.1-i586

if you are determined to assault your users with that level of detail.

Note that thanks to recent changes to util.get_platform() (not yet
checked in, awaiting comment from the SIG), the default platform name is
now more useful than Python's vanilla sys.platform, but not as
exhaustive (or expensive to compute, I'm guessing) as whatever your
platform.py spits out.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward                                      gward@python.net