[Distutils] Brewing controversy over header file installation

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue Sep 19 21:16:00 2000

On 15 September 2000, Mark W. Alexander said:
> I'm only providing opinions here, not code, so I'm very easily out-voted,
> but I think distutils should do neither or both. I still feel that the
> libraries are better provided by a generic (non-python) run-time package,
> the headers (and usage docs) by a devel package, and the python
> implementation by distutils.

But the headers installed by the Distutils are *specifically* for Python
extensions: we install Numeric/*.h so that other extension authors can
use Numeric's C structs and functions, not so that general C programmers
can do so.  Thus, this is a concern for a Python extension-building and
-installing system.

I do not know for certain, but I suspect that installing the Python
extension -- eg. _numpy.so -- suffices for the "library" portion.  I
have not heard any reaction, positive or negative, from anyone using the
installed Numeric/*.h files.  So who knows if it's actually working?

> .....It's just a matter of time before distutils becomes the universal
> build/install/package everything tool.

Curses!  You've seen to the heart of my devious master plan.  All who
read this post will have to swear to uttermost silence, else my minions
will track them down and... SILENCE THEM!!  bwa-hAHAHAHAHAA!!!

> I recommend you don't take that
> first step.

Oops, too late.  ;-)

Greg Ward                                      gward@python.net