[Distutils] Appears bdist_rpm completely broken

Wed Sep 20 14:17:06 2000

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 12:06:23PM -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
>Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how bdist_rpm works for
>anyone.  I've tried 0.9.2, the 9/12 and 9/16 snapshots but I have a
>problem with the generated pycs.

It generated ZODB & ExtensionClass RPMs that worked fine, and those
modules both involve mixed Python and C module, which is about as
complicated as you can get.

>line 3, in ?
>ImportError: cannot import name XPathParserBase

What exactly is the bug? Do you not expect that ImportError to be
raised?  Or is it just that the path names shown in tracebacks are
wrong?

>Further investigation turns up the culprit:  The generated pyc files
>from the RPM have the "/var/tmp/..." hard-coded in to their imports.

Presumably bdist_rpm shouldn't contain .pyc files, and should instead
use a postinstall script to compile the .py files.

--amk