[Distutils] Appears bdist_rpm completely broken
Thu Sep 21 23:23:02 2000
On 20 September 2000, Uche Ogbuji said:
> First the symptom. I build 4Suite using distutils. The sdist, bdist
> and bdist_win packages work just fine, but when I move the generated RPM
> to another machine and try to use 4Suite:
> [uogbuji@dynip-23 uogbuji]$ python
> Python 1.5.2 (#1, Jul 12 2000, 10:39:14) [GCC 2.96 20000702
> (experimental)] on linux-i386
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> >>> import sys
> >>> sys.path
> ['', '/usr/lib/python1.5/', '/usr/lib/python1.5/plat-linux-i386',
> '/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload',
> >>> import xml.xslt
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> line 3, in ?
> line 3, in ?
> ImportError: cannot import name XPathParserBase
> The problem is the phantom
That's bizarre. Having the wrong filename in the .pyc files is
annoying, but I can't for the life of me see how it could be causing an
I've downloaded your two source dists to see if I can figure out what
the heck's going on. Don't have anything yet, but I'm glad to see
someone is using all those extensibility hooks I put in! AFAIK you're
the first ones to define a new Distribution class -- cool! Thought I do
wonder if all the heavy lifting you're doing to beat the Distutils into
submission could be causing problems. It's idle speculation right now;
I haven't even reproduced your problems yet, much less tried to debug
them. Tomorrow... my brain is shutting down for the night right now.
Greg Ward firstname.lastname@example.org