[Distutils] Distutils 1.0 code freeze: Oct 1
Tue Sep 26 20:55:01 2000
Considering the following schedule of events:
Oct 4: I go out of town (away from email, off the net, etc.)
Oct 10: planned release of Python 2.0
Oct 12: I'm back in town, ready to hack! (and wondering why it's
so quiet around here...)
the Distutils 1.0 release will go out October 1 or 2. I don't need
quite as much code freeze time as the full Python release, but let's put
it this way: if there are features you want added to the Distutils that
I don't already know about, forget about it. Changes currently under
* Rene Liebscher's rearrangement of the CCompiler classes; most
of this is just reducing the amount of code, but it does
add some minor features, so it's under consideration.
* making byte-compilation more flexible: should be able to
generate both .pyc and .pyo files, and should be able to
do it at build time or install time (developer's and packager's
If you know about any outstanding Distutils bugs, please tell me *now*.
Put 'em in the SourceForge bug database if you're wondering why I
haven't fixed them yet -- they might have gotten lost, I might not know
about 'em, etc. If you're not sure, put it in SourceForge.
Stuff that will definitely have to wait until after 1.0:
* a "test" command (standard test framework for Python modules)
* finishing the "config" command (auto-configuration)
* installing package meta-data, to support "what *do* I have
installed, anyways?" queries, uninstallation, upgrades, etc.
* standard documentation processing
* intra-module dependencies
Greg Ward email@example.com