[Distutils] Automatically detect wrong lib-format for borland compiler?

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher@gmx.de
Fri Sep 29 07:44:01 2000

Thomas Heller wrote:

> I just had the idea to make bcccompiler a little bit
> more robust.
>
> By default, python is delivered with pythonxx.lib
> and pythonxx_d.lib import libraries generated by MSVC,
> which are in COFF format. By inspection I found
> that these libraries start with the bytes '!<arch>./'
> (without the single quotes).
'!<arch>\012/'

> Shouldn't we open these files and issue a warning
> or error if they start with these bytes?
> We could even invoke borland's coff2omf utility
> to convert them...
But where to write the converted files, in the python
libs directory is not a good idea and if you would
write them in the build-temp directory you had to
add code to find_library_file().

It might be better to have script(s) in the misc directory,
which checks for a certain compiler the libraries and
converts them if necessary.

The compiler classes would print a warning/error message
about the wrong format and could mention how to convert
the library.