[Distutils] Another requested feature (with patch)

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher@gmx.de
Mon Apr 9 04:13:02 2001

"John J. Lee" wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Robert Kern wrote:
>
> > * add a --skip-build option to the bdist, bdist_dumb, and bdist_wininst
> >   commands. This is necessary when trying to build on Windows with mingw32
> >   since the plain bdist_* commands will try to rebuild with MSVCCompiler.
Anyone checked this? It should be solved since May 2000, see also
 http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2000-May/001052.html
 http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2000-May/001081.html

> >   I have a patch that seems to work with the dumb formats and Windows
> >   installer. I didn't quite grok the bdist_rpm code, so I don't quite
> >   know how to work it in there.
> >
> >   The patch is attached. I can put it on the Sourceforge Patch Manager
> >   if someone likes.
>
> Shouldn't there instead be a -c (--compiler) option to build and install?
> This makes sense, and is neater.  I think this was discussed here before
> at some point, but I don't remember if anything was decided.

You can always add options for commands which are to be run by the
command you
want to execute.

python setup.py install build --compiler=mingw32
(install runs an internal build)

or

python setup.py bdist ... build --compiler=mingw32
(bdist does an install which does a build)

Rene