[Distutils] Solaris and HP binary commands

Mark W. Alexander mwa@gate.net
Tue Apr 10 11:47:00 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> > Attached are three files ...
>
> Please upload these files to the SourceForge patch manager, so
> that we don't lose track of them.

OK, I was hoping for a little shake-out by others first, but it
may be I'm the only poor sap coping with these systems. I've
already got a buggette in sdux improperly using build_platlib
for pure modules (like, um, distutils...Duh).

I'll submit them when that's corrected.

> About the packager base class: if we proceed down this road,
> then bdist_rpm should be adapted to the new base class as well.

That's the idea. If the packager base class can be made smart
enough, a single setup.cfg entry should suffice for distributions
to make binaries in every possible format.

Delusions of grandeur aside, I don't think I'm distutils savy
enough to trust bdist_packager based on my input alone. I'd
really appreciate some more eyeballs on that class especially.
Especially Mssrs. Heller and Geller!

> Other packager which are still unsupported (this should go onto the
> todo list):
>
> * Debian tools

That's my next one..

> * FreeBSD tools
> * non-RedHat RPMs (e.g. as subclasses of bdist_rpm)

How would those differ? The .spec files and the rpm calls to
make them should remain unchanged. (FWIW, I've fought rpm on
Solaris and HP and determined that it wasn't worth the effort.)

Mark