[Distutils] Distutils 1.0.2 release candidate

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Mon Apr 23 03:37:02 2001

> I've put a release candidate for Distutils 1.0.2:
>      http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/download/
>
> (Available in .tar.gz, .zip, and Win32 .exe formats)
>
> Can people please try it out and let me know if there are any
> problems?  If there aren't, in a few days I'll update the Distutils
> Web page and send out an announcement.

Some quick notes:

- the wininst version (Distutils-1.0.2.win32.exe) crashed with a general
protection fault, if I build it myself it seems to work.

- The archive-util bug reported by Pete Shinners seems still to be
present:

  > in the file "lib/distutils/archive-util.py" line 103, it creates
  > a ZIP archive with the following command...
  >
  > ZipFile(zip_filename, "wb", compression=zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED)

I can take a deeper look later, in the meantime it seems it should
not yet be released.

BTW: There is a bug in the Python 2.1 release version of Distutils:
'1.0.2pre' isn't a valid version number by distutils' own standards.
This was of course _my_ fault.

Thomas