[Distutils] behavior when failing to build an extension?

Bernhard Herzog bh@intevation.de
Thu Aug 9 12:25:03 2001

Just van Rossum <just@letterror.com> writes:

> What's the intended behavior if an extension fails to build? Should it
> print an error message and continue, or should it stop? (On the Mac
> distutils currently stops, which is kindof a nuisance, so I'm tempted
> to "fix" it...)

I think distutils should print an error and stop by default. That way
users trying to build an extension immediately know that something went
wrong.

A command line option to make distutils try to go on if an error occurs
might be useful, though, as long a clear message that an error occurred
and the commands weren't completed successfully is printed at the end.

  Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/