[Distutils] first cut at fortran support for distutils

eric jones eric@scipy.org
Mon Aug 20 21:54:01 2001

Travis Oliphant and I have hacked together Fortran support for distutils in
the course of putting together scipy (www.scipy.org).  I won't pretend its
pretty, but it does seem to do the job on Linux and W2000/W98 using the
mingw32 version of gcc/g77.  We're also working on Sun and Irix.
Basically, the static_clib has been modified to build static libraries of
the
fortran code that are then linked with the extension module interface
(written in C).

We'd like to work toward this becoming a standard part of distutils. Are
others interested in this?  Also, opinions on how to best pursue its
inclusion are welcomed.

If your interested, please grab the source version of scipy from the site
and take a look at fortran_support.py,  build_flib.py, build_clib_new.py,
and setup.py.

thanks,
eric