[Distutils] Any volunteers for Distutils maintainer?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Dec 7 04:01:12 2001

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> I lack the time to properly maintain the Distutils these days.  Is
> anyone interested in taking it over?

Thanks for all the work you've done on distutils so far, Andrew!

> It's not clear if much *new*
> development is needed on the package, though there are a pile of bugs
> for it in the SourceForge bug tracker.

Oh, I do think that distutils needs to move on. Inparticular it
needs support for more native OS packaging tools. We'll look
into these after the 2.2 feature freeze.

> (I've just marked all the
> outstanding bug and patches as unassigned; feel free to grab any one
> that interests you and assign it to yourself.  Perhaps a single
> Distutils czar isn't needed any longer, just a group of people who
> process bugs and patch submissions with reasonable speed.)

Let's try the bazar method. If it doesn't work out (conflicting
opinions, etc), we'll have to perhaps change back to the
cathedral.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH