[Distutils] Any volunteers for Distutils maintainer?

Mark W. Alexander slash@dotnetslash.net
Fri Dec 7 10:34:01 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> > > Oh, I do think that distutils needs to move on. Inparticular it
> > > needs support for more native OS packaging tools. We'll look
> > > into these after the 2.2 feature freeze.
> >
> > I just got a Sharp Zaurus, so I'll sign up for ipk format as long as
> > I'm allowed a stupid question: How portable are pyc and pyo files?
> > Would I be able to compile them on a development platform (i386) and
> > package just the bytecode versions?
>
> What is a Sharp Zaurus ? (Sounds like a Greek razorblade to me ;-)

It's Sharp's entry into the U.S. PDA market running Lineo Embedix and
QT Palmtop environment. After fighting an HP Jornada with (the
appropriately named) WinCE, I have to say: This thing ROCKS! Even
though it's a developer edition, being able to open a terminal window,
us vi and ssh in and out of it while it's sitting in it's cradle makes
the possibilities endless.

And, there's already a python ipk available ;) The ipk files should
also work on the Compaw iPAQ pda.

Quick demo here: http://developer.sharpsec.com/

mwa