[Distutils] Any volunteers for Distutils maintainer?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Dec 7 10:35:00 2001

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> > Oh, I do think that distutils needs to move on. Inparticular it
> > needs support for more native OS packaging tools. We'll look
> > into these after the 2.2 feature freeze.
>
> My pet peeve is missing support for compiler optimization levels.
> This is what still makes me hesitate to fully switch to distutils,
> one of my modules runs at half speed when compiled under distutils
> supervision, and I see no way to change that.

Right; I'm currently using a gross hack to enable setting the
compiler options (see mxSetup.py in my distutils packages). It
would be nice if a packager could define the options in a more
flexible way, e.g. by setting an option.

We should keep that in mind for next year... could you create
a feature request on SF for this ?

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg