[Distutils] Any volunteers for Distutils maintainer?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon Dec 10 04:40:59 2001

"Mark W. Alexander" wrote:

> Here's another crazy idea. How about adding cross-compiling support?
> I'm thinking in terms of the catalog-sig. If we could get a catalog
> server housing distutils packages, the catalog server could generate
> binary packages for any supported platform, regardless of what
> platform it was running. Authors could just upload their source and
> the rest would be magic.
>
> I have done enough cross-platform development to be dangerous, but I
> think all distutils would have to support is a --target option and
> some sanity checking to see if the appropriate tools exist on the
> compiling machine.
>
> Comments?

You like driving the SF compile farm using distutils ? Sounds
like a cool idea, but it's probably too hard to find a common
base of tools for these things.

Also, I believe that using
Python to do the necessary copying etc. and then having it
run distutils on the various machines is the easier and
more flexible approach.

In any case, it would certainly be nice to have a compile
farm for Python extensions -- the SF one is restricted to
SF projects so not much use for other things and building
your own little farm is too much work.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH