[Distutils] Any volunteers for Distutils maintainer?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon Dec 10 05:01:01 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 04:35:20PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >would be nice if a packager could define the options in a more
> >flexible way, e.g. by setting an option.
>
> I would think that you'd want that option to be more under the *BUILDER*s
> control than the packager -- with perhaps a way for the packager to
> override some settings.  For example, when it's known that a certain
> optimization level is going to produce the wrong code...

I think that with distutils packager and builder are
usually the same person :-)

Seriously, I was thinking of putting the default for the
optimization level into the setup.cfg file which can then
be edited by a package builder for a specific platform.
BTW, AFAIK, command line options override the settings in
setup.cfg so the builder could even compile without even touching
setup.cfg.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH