[Distutils] installing man pages in bdist_rpm

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue Dec 11 04:34:01 2001

Steven Knight wrote:

> Distutils gurus--
>
> In the absence of support for the commented-out "install-man" option,
> how can I go about arranging for bdist_rpm to install and package a man
> page properly?
>
> Successfull packaging in this case should result in installing a script
> in /usr/bin/scons, and the man page in /usr/man/man1/scons.1.gz.
>
> Here's what I've tried:
>
>     data_files = [('man/man1', ["scons.1"])]
>
>         This fails when the INSTALLED_FILES file lists it as
>         /usr/man/man1/scons.1, but RPM has installed the man page as
>         scons.1.gz.

If it has installed the file in man/man1 then you shouldn't
have a problem. man works just fine with gzip compressed
man pages (at least on my Linux machine).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH