[Distutils] Optimization and Auto-Upload (Any volunteers for Distutils maintainer?)

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Fri Dec 14 09:07:01 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:39:45PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>bdist_deb would be a cool thing to have... btw, would it run on
>RedHat or SuSE if I install the deb RPM packages there ?

I'd presume it would work, just as RPMs will work on HP-UX or whatever...
It probably would have it's own package database though, so if your
packages depended on, for example, Apache, it might not be happy.

>Thanks for the summary. I believe we should actively look into this
>again after Python 2.2 is out the door. Does the swalow support come
>as new distutils command or do you need deeper integeration for it
>to work ?

It's an option.  I'm a bit rusty on it, but IIRC you could do:

   setup.py --submit bdist_rpm

with the important part being "--submit".  The result of the bdist or sdist
would be uploaded to the package server.

Sean
--
 "If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would
 be dead."  -- Johnny Carson