[Distutils] how to fine tune parameters for extension building

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 1 11:43:16 2001

Hi there,

I'm working on the 'synopsis' project, a source code inspection tool
mainly developed in python, but with a number of extensions in C++.
(http://Synopsis.sourceforge.net)

I'm considering trying out the distutils, but I'm stumbling about
a couple of (minor) issues. I don't seem to be able to specify compiler
names and options, only the options as provided by the Extension dictionary
itself. As I would replace all the Makefiles, I'd of course need the
same degree of flexibility in choosing the tools I need, for example
calling lex/bison, or whatever.

May be distutils is currently not up to the task to replace make,
in which case I would just stay with the current build system I have.

Any help is highly appreciated !

Stefan