[Distutils] Removing Packages

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Feb 2 14:48:01 2001

Houman G wrote:

> As far as I know Distutils does not have an 'uninstall command' (unless you
> are using the Windows installer for installing packages), nor there is
> standard way of removing packages. I was wondering if someone has come up
> with a mechanism for removing packages, or if there is a Distutils command
> for doing that.

The Windows doesn't do uninstall either... at least not yet.

As for the rest of distutils, I think it would be a good idea to
have distutils store information about which packages and files
were installed in a database much like RPM does. To simplify things
we could start with a pickled dictionary in a standard place, e.g.
as file distutils.db in the standard installation location.

I'd suggest to store objects in this dictionary to be able to
easily upgrade the format. It should be indexed by package name
for simplicity and since this will be the most used query form.

What other information would we need apart from a list of
files which were installed by the package and maybe its version
number ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg