[Distutils] Beta of wininst with uninstaller

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu Feb 22 04:41:35 2001

(Mark Hammond sent these comments directly to me,
IMO they should be discussed here).
> Hi Thomas,
> I am responding to the message I am reading in the archives, hence no
> quoting.
>
> The only thing possibly missing is allowing the package author to have a
> custom script for custom installation.  If thinking, for example, of COM
> servers and such, where the registry entries are _not_ written by the
> installer but the product itself, but still need to be removed at uninstall
> time.  An ever better example is when the package creates extra files (eg, a
> cache) that can be removed.
>
> I may have missed it or an existing facility.  Other than that, I think the
> work you are doing on this is _excellent_!

No, this functionality is not yet there.

I can think of two possibilities:

- The WISE (installer) way: Write entries directly into the
  logfile, parsed and interpreted by the uninstaller.
  These entries could be given to bdist_wininst on the
  command-line:
    setup.py bdist_wininst --log-entry "100 Run Program: package\comserver.py --unregister"

- Much more challenging:
  Let the packager specify a python-script to be run with
  --install at installation time, and --uninstall at uninstall time.

  Problem: Can we assume python is still installed at the
  time the package will be removed?

Thomas