[Distutils] Re: CPAN functionality for python - requirements

Tue Feb 27 11:43:12 2001

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:30:13AM -0700, Evelyn Mitchell wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:23:33AM -0500, Mark W. Alexander wrote:
>> (My understanding of) CPAN is that it's a repository of things that
>> install a standard way. You download what you want and
>>
>> 	perl Makefile.pl
>> 	make install
>
>CPAN is a lot closer to appget with debian than that.
>Yes, there is a standard perl Makefile, which looks through your
>system for quirks, and creates a makefile which can work.

Distutils aims to fix the installation problem, providing a consistent
way to build a module once you've downloaded it.  Discussion of
indexing, dependencies, finding modules, &c., is the Catalog-SIG's
job, and should be discussed there; they're off-topic for the
Distutils SIG.

--amk