[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 250 - site-packages on Windows: (Was: [Distutils] Package DB: strawman PEP)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu Jul 12 12:39:03 2001

Trent Mick wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:57:30AM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> > > and the changes to the Windows installer to create the directory
> > > at installation time ?
> >
> > OK, I'll look into that, although it doesn't seem necessary.
>
> I have to agree with Tim. If distutils is going to install a package to
> site-packages then it should create the directory itself if it does not
> exist. Certainly it should not fail if the directory does not exist.

I believe that it creates the directory (distutils has a make_path()
API for this), but having it there for testing would sure help
in figuring out what to do. Please keep in mind that distutils
has to work with Python versions 1.5.2, 2.0 and 2.1.

Also, I think that it is cleaner to have existing directories
on sys.path. Indeed, it may be worthwhile having Python eliminate
non-existing dirs at startup time (i.e. in site.py).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH