[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 250 - site-packages on Windows: (Was: [Distutils] Package DB: strawman PEP)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Jul 13 08:06:10 2001

> [where to get the installation path from on Windows]
>
> That's why I said a (very hacky) solution would be to simply check
> for the version number at install time.
> A better solution would be to somehow query site.py at install time?

Ideal would be looking at the sys module for e.g. sys.extinstallpath
(which site.py could set). Is the problem of not being able to
embed Python at install time really a problem ? After all, if
it doesn't work for the installer, how should it work at all
in a different setting...

Alternatively, the installer could also simply query the
install path from the user and suggest the sys.extinstallpath
dir as default.

The installer should also make sure that the sys.extinstallpath
is on the sys.path (if not, the Python user won't be able to
use the installed package and should be warned about this).

A totally different problem is that of upgrading from the
old installation (in Python21\) to a new one
(in Python\Lib\site-packages)... but that one is on the extension
writer, I guess.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH