[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 250: Summary of comments

Paul Moore gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 17:05:17 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:50:30 +0200, "Thomas Heller" =
<thomas.heller@ion-tof.com>
wrote:

>There is one problem in the diffs below for distutils\sysconfig:
>Your patch changes the result of get_python_lib() for standard_lib,
>while it should change the directory for site-specific modules.
>Correct (IMO) would be (maybe you created this in hurry):
>
>    elif os.name =3D=3D "nt":
>        if standard_lib:
>            return os.path.join(PREFIX, "Lib")
>        else:
>            return os.path.join(prefix, "Lib", "site-packages")

You're right. I did create this in a hurry, and I switched the logic. =
Thanks for
catching it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where or how this code gets =
exercised,
so I didn't have an obvious way of testing this.

>No, it should load Python, and use the result of
>distutils.sysconfig.get_python_lib() as the installation directory.
>If this fails, revert to the previous behaviour.

That's a much better idea.

>This way would ensure the desired behaviour,
>without a need to introduce sys.extinstallpath.

Yes, I no longer see a use for sys.extinstallpath.

>Maybe the PEP should eventually be updated if everyone agrees on this?

I will certainly do so. As I understand it, the final version of the PEP =
should
serve as documentation for what actually gets implemented.

Thanks,
Paul.