[Distutils] bdist_innoinst ?!

David Arnold davida@pobox.com
Wed Jul 25 06:07:01 2001

-->"Marc-Andre" == M -A Lemburg <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

  Marc-Andre> I am very satisfied with the existing bdist_wininst, the
  Marc-Andre> only reason for heading into the inno setup direction is
  Marc-Andre> that it would allow more flexible setups, e.g. the user
  Marc-Andre> has more options to choose from, you can wrap packages
  Marc-Andre> which contain optional subpackages, do full, standard
  Marc-Andre> and customized installs, add auxiliary package installs
  Marc-Andre> such as MDAC or ship MSVC DLLs etc.

we use the Inno Setup (and the Inno Setup Extensions) for our windows
stuff, and it's been very good there (far better than WISE, which we
used to use, on most features).

  Marc-Andre> bdist_wininst is perfect for pure Python packages and
  Marc-Andre> probably most binary extensions too, but there are a
  Marc-Andre> small number of instances which do require more
  Marc-Andre> functionality and since Inno Setup is free, I thought it
  Marc-Andre> would be a good idea to add support for it to distutils.

one feature i would dearly like (and it might even be provided by the
current installer?) is the ability to run unattended installs from the
scheduler.

we do automated nightly build/test stuff, and at the moment, my Python
packages are not tested on windows because i can't find a way to get
the installer to run unattended.

does anyone know if the current bdist_wininst can do this?  i'd be
interested in helping to add it, either via Inno or otherwise.