[Distutils] some installer grumbles

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu Jun 7 14:15:01 2001

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been very busy...

> This is the result of operator error, but nonetheless...
> I accidentally launched an install of PyXML on a w2k system where
> it was already installed.  I know the instructions say to remove
> old installations first (actually it wasn't an "old" installation,
> it was the same version, to be really nitpicky) as I said,
> Operator Error.  However, at  this point:
>
> (a) the existing installation is not detected with a
> bailout option ("blah blah already installed blah blah
> do you want to continue?")
This should probably wait until there is a distutils registry
of installed modules.

> (b) there's no way to abort the installation once it starts
> (no cancel button)

I've hesitated to add this because an installation cancelled
in the middle of file-copying would certainly leave the system
in a not very useful state.

> (c) you are prompted for EACH file as to whether to
> replace or not; there is no "yes to all" (or "no to all") so one
> would potentially have to click "yes" or "no" hundreds of
> times to complete for something like PyXML.
You could press the 'N' or 'Y' button and leave it pressed,
so this would not take forever ;-)
Seriously: I should add this. My excuse: The yes/no to all
is asked once just before the start of the installation.

Thomas