[Distutils] Re: CPAN functionality for python - requirements

Bruce Sass bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Mar 2 10:10:03 2001

> >Interestingly, developers probably don't "expect" to have to include
> >dependency information, and hence many don't - resulting in the problems you
>
> I think we can deal with that in an iterative manner.  First get them to build
> distutils packages, then when it fails to install on some user's machine
> because they don't have foo.py we can educate them on the joys of listing
> third-party module requirements.

Has anyone written a program that looks at a .py and tries to
determine the versions of Python it will work with?

Maybe have a module that grabs info about the system the code is being
developed on, then use some of that to generate default dependencies
which the developer can modify (be made less restrictive in most
cases, I imagine) before submitting the package to the archive.  Even
if the developer doesn't modify the dependencies, the user will at
least have some idea of what is required.

- Bruce