[Distutils] Uninstalling

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Mon Mar 12 08:47:01 2001

Thomas Heller wrote:

> > It should
> > also be possible to insert an uninstall/remove_packagename.py for
> > undoing-anything unusual (e.g. if the install modified an Apache config
> > file or something). remove_packagename.py functions should be
> > exceedingly rare but at ActiveState we have taken the position that
> > people should be able to do arbitrary things in installers and
> > uninstallers....more on that later...
> >
> How would this logfile be used? Should distutils contain a clean-up
> command for this?

I'm confused. You quote a bunch of text talking about remove_package.py
but then you ask about the logfile?

I think distutils should have an uninstall command to provide a default
implementation just as there is an install command. uninstall should
undo everything it did by reading the logfile. If there happens to be a
remove_packagename.py, distutils should run it before doing the
file/registry uninstall.

--
Python:
    Programming the way