[Distutils] PEP 241 draft

Wed Mar 14 10:28:01 2001

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:40:16PM -0800, Amos Latteier wrote:
>>     Name
>>       The name of the package.  XXX what's the set of legal characters?
>Why should the legal characters be restricted? OK, no newlines, but
>otherwise what do we care?

That was there in case the Distutils restricted the name to a given
set of chars; it doesn't seem to.

>Should we allow more than one contact email address? For example, there
>may be multiple authors, or there may be some other relevant contact
>email addresses.

I don't know; if so, that would be a point in XML's favor.

>It might be more useful to have categories like CPAN's categories
>  http://cpan.org/modules/by-category/

Perhaps, but specifying what categories will be too time-consuming to
do in time for 2.1.  We can decide on a category format, though
(category names separated by colons, or slashes, or whatever).
Suggestions?  And should we drop keywords in favor of categories, or
have them both?

--amk