[Distutils] PEP 241 draft

Wed Mar 14 12:08:01 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 04:59:00PM +0000, John J. Lee wrote:
>probably for smaller collections, too.  I don't see why the keyword list
>would have to be fixed between releases of Distutils -- can't it just be
>in a standard place in the catalogue, as well as in Distutils?  Anything /

Sorry; this isn't quite clear in the PEP.  The issue is just that, if
we have a fixed list of keywords, the Distutils can't enforce this
when you run 'setup.py sdist'; it couldn't warn you that 'asdfgh'
isn't a legal keyword.  We could put a keyword list in the Distutils
code, but as soon as we add another keyword, there's no way to make
all the Python installations aware of this.  It's a minor point; the
Distutils can't enforce this, so catalogs will have to.

--amk