[Distutils] Peer Review

Fri Mar 23 13:00:00 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 09:53:16AM -0800, Pete Shinners wrote:
>Thanks a lot for those of you who can do this. The project
>is right around the corner from a 1.0 release, and I'd like
>to make sure my distutils installing is in as good as shape
>as it can be.

A quick look through setup.py, and everything looks reasonable.  The
setup.py/config.py combination is complex, but then pygame is fairly
complex, having to adapt to the presence of various libraries.

One oddity:

#hmm, findbasepath is failing on irix, we'll avoid it for now
def findbasepath(deps):
    "find a common prefix in all paths"
    allpaths = []
    for d in deps:
        if d.found:
            allpaths.append(d.inc_dir)
            allpaths.append(d.lib_dir)
    basepath = os.path.commonprefix(allpaths)
    lastslash = basepath.rfind('/')
    if(lastslash < 3 or len(basepath) < 3):
        basepath = ""
    else:
        basepath = basepath[:lastslash]
    return basepath

I don't see why this would fail on one particular platform; what's the
failure?

--amk