[Distutils] New draft of PEP, and list of licenses

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Sat Mar 24 03:51:03 2001

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 11:29:09AM -0500, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
>We *really* need to resolve the platform issue; it's the last thing to
>do before posting the PEP to python-dev/c.l.p.a and implementing it.

In PEP243 I'm listing a bunch of platforms simply because if we don't list
them they're undefined.  I believe we need to have a wealth of them, and
also need to include version numbers because of library issues for binary
distributions.  Is there any platform where it's not possible to get this
information programmaticly?  For example, on RedHat you can get it from
/etc/redhat-release...

I expect the list in PEP243 to be a living list, but I don't think we're
going to get the platform issues resolved before 2.1.  Once we have the
things in place to get this to critical mass for source distributions,
we'll be in a position to be collecting this information for binaries.

I think we need some more experience to get this, much as is the situation
for dependencies.

Sean
--
 Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. Computers are from hell.
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>