[Distutils] Re: RFC: PEP243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

Carey Evans careye@spamcop.net
Sun Mar 25 06:10:00 2001

Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com> writes:

[...]

> >Other OS's for which Python is available, that I know of, are Palm,
> >WinCE and OS/400.
>
> Added os400 and palm, wince is OS "Windows" version "CE", isn't it?

(BTW, thanks for all the hard work on this.)

Yes, I guess WinCE could be considered a version of windows, though
it's had it's own versions, too.

In that case, wouldn't Debian GNU/Hurd 2.2 be OS "debian", version
"hurd_2.2"?  In fact, all the different Linux distributions are less
different than Windows 98, Windows 2000 and WinCE, so couldn't they
all be different versions of OS "linux"?  It seems unfair to lump
three different Windows code bases together, but give a particular
selection of Linux distributions OS status.

I'm not saying it should necessarily be different or not, just
interested in arguments for and against.

> >Other common architectures are arm, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, s390 (or
> >whatever IBM are calling it now) and as400 (or whatever IBM are
> >calling _it_ now), although the AS/400 is arguably using the PowerPC
> >architecture.  Python should be available for all of these.
>
> Added all these.

Can I be a nuisance and say that after arguing with myself a bit
today, I've decided that AS/400 doesn't deserve its own architecture
value?  Linux running in a logical partition, and AIX binaries running
in PASE will both be "powerpc", so it should just use that.

	    "Quiet, you'll miss the humorous conclusion."