[Catalog-sig] Re: [Distutils] RFC: PEP 243: Module Repository Upload Mechanism

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun Mar 25 09:17:03 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 02:38:57PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >With the pointer to platform.py I just wanted to let you know
> >that there is a Python module for these sort of things out there
>
> It doesn't detect LFS though, does it?  I don't see that it does...
> It's definitely useful though.

The module is intended to include checks like these if they are
important for applications, so if you can provide an API which
checks for LFS, then I'd be happy to include it in platform.py.

> >BTW, I think that information such as the libc version are more
> >important than, say, the patch level of the OS. Again, these
>
> OS patch level tends to indicate the set of libraries you have.  Much
> easier than having to list *ALL* the libraries on your system which might
> impact a binary module.  RPM actually looks at the files to see what
> they're linked against, which would be the ultimate...

distutils has all the technology to check for these. I'd suggest
to have the package download tools use these to verify their
existance. Of course, this can only be done *after* downloading
the package, but hey, can't have everything ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg