[Distutils] [PEP 243] upload status is bogus

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Tue Mar 27 06:51:01 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:59:14PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
>information is bogus. HTTP already provides the upload client with various
>status codes. Specifically, let's look at the list in the PEP:

It's bogus to use the transport status to signal an application return
status.  Any non-200 transport status should (and is, according to my
PEP) interpreted as a temporary failure.  How would you differentiate
between a "400" (bad request) which is the application signaling that the
request was invalid and the web server reporting it because of a
configuration error or the like?  The former being a permanent application
failure, and the latter being temporary?

As soon as you get the search.python.org web page to return "404" (not
found) when it doesn't locate any matches, I'll look at changing it.

Sean
--
 "Self-taught just means that you don't have to get rid of other people's
 prejudices as well as your own." -- Sean Reifschneider, 1997