[Distutils] Header installation

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu Mar 29 04:49:01 2001

"Moore, Paul" wrote:

> From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal@lemburg.com]
> > This again defaults to:
> >
> >     'unix_prefix': # without PYTHONHOME set
> >         'headers': '$base/include/python$py_version_short/$dist_name',
> >
> >     'unix_home': # with PYTHONHOME set
> >         'headers': '$base/include/python/$dist_name',
> >
> >     'nt':
> >         'headers': '$base/Include/$dist_name',
> >
> >     'mac':
> >         'headers': '$base/Include/$dist_name',
>
> I think the original poster was saying that he wanted to use something other
> than $dist_name in these. Whether allowing that is a reasonable idea, I
> can't say. But it's very different from wanting to alter the base install
> location....

I haven't tried this, but from looking at the code,
Martin can use the same escapes in his definition of install_headers,
e.g. install_headers = $base/MyIncludes

I'm not sure about the collection of variables available for
expansion (they are scattered all over distutils), but at most of
them follow the naming scheme used in the standard Python Makefile,
so their names should be easy to deduce.

> Paul.
>
> PS Do the installers butlt by distutils (bdist_wininst and the like) respect
> setup.cfg? If not, I believe they should. Or at least, the installer should
> include a way for the end user to specify an alternative install
> directory...

Hmm, the build commands do respect the settings in the setup.cfg file,
but the installer itself doesn't.

It would be nice, if the wininst installer would allow even more
flexibility, e.g. allow setting the install directory (this would
then have to generate a .pth file to properly setup the Python path),
optionally generating a "click to accept license" box and
an optional "misc notice" box (for arbitrary additional information
which wouldn't fit into the standard description box).

Thomas Heller has already done a fantastic job here, so these are
really only minor nits.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg